Friday, September 11, 2015

Keto Cupcakes

The girls had their first birthday party invite since Reagan started her diet. Since her sole reason to attend a party is the cake, I decided I needed to find a suitable replacement to spare her the sadness of watching everyone else indulge in sugary cake and gooey icing. And so, the almond flour cupcake with strawberry cream icing was born!



I used this recipe for the almond flour cupcakes, but with a few modifications. I added unsweetened vanilla almond milk to get a cake batter consistency, plus two drops vanilla stevia, and stevia instead of honey. I also cut the recipe in half to make 6 cupcakes instead of 12.

Ingredients


1.5 cups almond flour
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 cup (2 tablespoons) melted coconut oil*
1 teaspoon powdered stevia
1.5 large eggs
2 drops vanilla stevia
½ teaspoon lemon extract
 
Icing

1 cup heavy whipping cream
2 oz cream cheese softened
1 box sugar free jello mix

Makes 6 cupcakes and about 10 servings of frosting, depending on how heavy handed you are.

Macros for each: cupcakes 221 cals, 19.9g fat, 3 g net carbs, 7.5 g protein; frosting 103 cals, 9.9 g fat, 0 net carbs, <1 g protein

Let me just tell you, I think these cupcakes are delish! I also think the cupcake needs the icing and vice versa, as I didn't care a whole lot about either on its own. However, my sweet little discriminating child wouldn't touch the icing. I'll have to test out some new recipes and let you know which one is a hit for her. In the meantime, looks like I have some frosting to snack on...

Are you a cupcake fanatic? Have you ever made them with anything besides regular flour? Leave a comment!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment